Housing Resources

Housing Resource Page

The following resources are for renters and homeowners in Illinois's 1st Congressional District. 

To file a housing discrimination complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity, click HERE or call (800) 669-9777. 

For Renters

You may be eligible for new rental assistance programs  — including many made possible by the American Rescue Plan, which I proudly voted for in March.

The Help for Illinois Families Initiative is a program offered through the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (IDCEO). Click HERE to apply for assistance paying for rent, utilities, food, and more.  If you need help filling out the application, call (833) 711-0374.

If you live in Suburban Cook County, the Housing Choice Voucher (HVC) Program ​from the Housing Authority of Cook County (HACC) provides rental assistance to help low-income individuals afford decent and safe affordable housing. Click HERE to learn more. 

The following programs are available for City of Chicago residents:

  • Small Accessible Repairs for Seniors (SARFS): This program provides improvements including grab bars, lever faucets, door repairs, carbon monoxide detectors, smoke detectors, and wheelchair ramps to help senior citizens remain in their homes. Seniors aged 60+  who reside in 1-4 unit structures may be eligible. Learn more HERE. Find the delegate agency in your ward, who can assist with the application process, HERE.
  • For information from the City of Chicago about tenants' rights, click HERE

For Homeowners

Find a housing counselor: The U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sponsors certified housing counselors throughout the country who can provide advice on buying a home, renting, defaults, foreclosures, and credit issues. Click HERE to find a counselor.

Mortgage forbearance information: Many homeowners now have more time to seek forbearance and avoid foreclosure. Click HERE for information about extended mortgage relief deadlines and HERE for information on repaying your forbearance from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (federally backed home mortgage companies) are offering COVID-19 forbearance to qualifying multifamily property owners through September 30, 2021, subject to the continued tenant protections the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) has imposed during the pandemic.  You can also visit Freddie Mac's Relief for Homeowners and Relief for Renters pages.

If your mortgage is backed by the Federal Housing Administration (which is part of HUD), click HERE for forbearance information and other COVID-19 resources. 

Property tax information: Click HERE for Cook County and HERE for Will County.

Homeowner assistance pages:

  • For the Illinois Attorney General’s Help for Homeowners page, click HERE or contact the Attorney General's Homeowner Helpline at (866) 544-7151.
  • For City of Chicago residents, click HERE for the City of Chicago Department of Housing homeowner assistance page, with resources including foreclosure prevention, small home repairs for seniors, and other services.

Utility Assistance

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps eligible low-income households pay for home energy services. Click HERE for more information or call the Illinois LIHEAP Hotline at 1-877-411-9276.

Cook County residents can apply for utility assistance through the Community and Economic Development Association of Cook County, Inc. (CEDA). More information is HERE

The City of Chicago's Utility Billing Relief Program provides low-income Chicago residents with a reduced rate on their water, sewer, and water-sewer tax as well as debt relief for those who demonstrate they can manage the reduced rate bills for one year.

Affordable Housing Search

Looking for an affordable apartment? Click HERE for the Illinois Development Housing Authority apartment listing search to find accessible, market-rate housing.

To view properties for sale by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), click HERE.

Looking to purchase your own home, but having trouble finding something in your price range? The Cook County Land Bank Authority has opportunities for individuals, residential developers, and commercial developers to purchase and rehab fixer-upper homes in Cook County. To learn more, click HERE.

The following resources are available for City of Chicago residents:

  • For a list of affordable housing in the City of Chicago and information on how to apply, click HERE.
  • The Chicago Housing Authority can also help you find affordable public housing. Click HERE or call 312-935-2600.

Housing Resource Symposium

Each year, Congressman Bobby L. Rush hosts a housing resource fair to give constituents in Illinois’s First District a chance to hear from housing agencies and local experts and get individual assistance with housing issues and concerns. This year's housing resource fair was held virtually in May and all the webinars are available for constituents to watch and refer back to below. 

Kickoff event: Workshop on housing assistance programs with Cook County Commissioner Larry Rodgers Jr., Will County Treasurer Tim Brophy, and local representatives from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Illinois Housing Development Authority (IHDA). Click here to watch the recording

Housing and Rental Assistance: Workshop on housing and rental assistance with representatives from local housing agencies including Neighborhood Housing Services of Chicago, AGORA Community Services, South Suburban Housing Center, the Dearborn Real Estate Board, and the City of Chicago Department of Housing. Click here to watch the recording.

Financing and Forbearance: Workshop on homeownership programs, financing, and mortgage forbearance with representatives from banks including Chase Bank, United Fidelity Bank, Seaway/Self-Help Federal Credit Union, BMO Harris, and OCWEN Loan Servicing, as well as representatives from the Cook County Land Bank Authority and South Suburban Housing Services. Click here to watch the recording. Click here to watch the recording.

Should you have additional questions, please call my district office at (773) 779-2400.